Monday, April 20, 2009

Polo Horses Die in Florida

This morning I overheard on NPR radio that more than 20 Venezuelan horses died in Florida while -preparing for a competition today. `

The story is very sad and there are a lot questions of potential animal abuse and/or poisoning of the horses, as all of the horses were owned by the same team and were held in the same trailers.

The full text article can be found of CNN.com - http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/20/dead.horses/index.html

While I'm not a major supporter of horses being used for sport, I have ridden them myself and understand how great and intelligent these "animals" are - They're like big giant dogs in my book. I've seen them cuddle their faces up to owners and show affection on many occasions.

If this was a poisoning for the sake of winning or pure abuse of the animals themselves by the owners through injection of steroids or a competing team trying to get a one up - investigators need to figure it out.

The atrocities cannot be kept in the dark and I hope to see some justice as this case is investigated.

Let me know your thought and if you know any more about the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment